Thursday, January 5, 2012

Resolution

There was a time in my life when I set out toward perfection every January 1. It was a New Year! A blank slate! In the new year I'd be nicer, and smarter, and thinner, and more disciplined, and, well, perfect-er.

I'd remain glowingly perfect until the enthusiasm for these traits wore off, which was normally around January 3 when I realized again that I am a mass of imperfections and irresolution.

New Year resolutions, in my experience, are only successful during the rare alignment when I begin something on January 1 that I want to do anyway and would have done no matter what the calendar said. New Year's just happened to be a convenient moment to drive a stake into the resolution and pin it to the wall. (Obviously my newest resolution does not deal with non-mixing of metaphors.)

This year, though, I'm serious about taking a step toward perfection. For some time I've known I needed to be more physically active, but I have made a science out of physical inactivity. Folks, I'm really, really good at not moving. I work in a sedentary occupation, sleep like a log, am incredibly efficient in using as few motions as possible to accomplish any physical task. This is, of course, the exact opposite of how a late-middle-aged woman who hopes to live long enough to see her grandchildren should behave. I should be moving! Stretching! Working both my aerobics and my strengths!

Sigh.

So I already knew I should be moving and then I watched this video. Go ahead--it's less than 10 minutes and worth your time.




So my resolution is that this year, I'm going to be in motion for at least half an hour five times each week. I'm not doing it to lose weight (although that would be a most wonderful side effect), or rather, I'm not doing it only to lose weight. I also want to be healthier, and more energetic, and yes, dang it, I want to play with grandchildren some day. (That wasn't nagging, Boys, just observing.)

So far, I've kept my resolution for six weeks because I started this new year the Monday after Thanksgiving. I've loaded the Jog.fm app on my iPhone and downloaded A Game of Thrones onto my Nook (the better to distract myself from exercise with) and actually look forward to both the music and the medieval intrigue as I ride the exercise bike and slog away on the elliptical at 5:45 every morning.

Sooner or later, though, I know I'm going to get bored or tired or sick, and that's when I'm counting on you, my loyal reader(s), to keep me encouraged and accountable. Ask me how my resolution is going and sheer embarrassment may keep me sweating.

Doesn't that sound like fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment