Monday, January 26, 2015

My Horrible Life

My life is horrible.

We had a potluck dinner at church yesterday, so Saturday I tried out some new recipes I'd found on the internet. (I looked them up on my iPad, while sitting in a cozy chair drinking the most wonderful cappuccino that I made on the machine my terrific sons gave me for Christmas, but that's not the story I'm telling today. Fortunately the wireless internet was working perfectly in the House on the Corner.)

The Starbucks Lemon Loaf was a complete flop--do you see that crater in the middle of it?--and I didn't want my friends at church to think I'm a terrible cook so I set it aside and tried another recipe, this one for Peanut Butter Balls that claimed to taste just like Reese's cups. (Although I had all the other ingredients, I didn't have any graham crackers so I pulled out a box of Ritz crackers, which was a good thing because my pantry had gotten so full it was getting hard to get the door closed.)

I can't bring myself to throw away food I've spent time on unless it is actually poisonous--because starving children in Armenia--so I decided to bring the Starbucks Lemon Loaf to work today. (I balanced it on my briefcase to walk to the car and already had in my hand Pearl's automatic-unlocker-thingie, for which there is a word even though I don't remember what it is right now. I do love words.)

But there was frost on the windows! Frost! I had put down the briefcase and Starbucks Lemon Loaf to scrape windows even though temperatures are supposed to get up to 68 degrees today, in January. (I hate scraping car windows almost enough to consider walking to work, but my office is uphill from my house. Up. Hill. Am I going to risk my knee health by walking a full block uphill every day? I don't think so.)

When I got to work I put the Starbucks Lemon Loaf in the break room. (My working group has its own break room, but sheesh, we have to walk all the way down the hall to the restroom, which, thank heaven, has automatic-flush toilets because I really hate having to remember to flush.)

I'm sorry all the people who do not live in the First World have problems, too, but you have to agree.

My life is horrible.

But the Starbucks Lemon Bread actually was not so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment